Home Staging in the process of preparing your home for selling. While there are many professionals who provide Home Staging services, the 15 Home Staging Tips below can be followed by anyone and will greatly increase the chances of your home selling.
1. De-personalize your home by removing family photos and mementos.
2. Remove clutter. Too many belongings in plain view distract potential buyers from being able to envision a home as their own.
3. Pull furniture away from walls. Rooms look more spacious and inviting when furniture is grouped together.
4. Adjust lighting until rooms are brightly-lit but still feel soft and comfortable.
5. Clear the bathrooms of toothbrushes, hairdryers, deodorant, etc. Buyers are especially critical of kitchens and bathrooms.
6. Make sure the outside of your home is well-groomed. Neatly trimmed bushes and freshly-cut lawns show potential buyers that a house is being well-maintained.
7. Small rooms look bigger when painted the same color as the rooms leading into them.
8. Try painting common areas like living rooms in neutral colors.
9. Deep colors work well in dining rooms, bedrooms and bathrooms.
10. Open windows so that the house smells fresh and not like what you last cooked (unless you happened to be baking). Studies have shown that people are drawn to the smell of cookies baking. If you don’t bake, try a cookie scented candle. Realtors have been using this trick for ages.
11. If you have art hanging on walls, position them in interesting ways. Refrain from putting them in expected places (like in high positions on the most obvious walls).
12. Accessorize in odd numbers (3 candles of varying size, etc…).
13. Add some fresh flowers.
14. Clear closets of unnecessary items. Buyers love discovering that a home has an abundance of closet space.
15. Finally, make sure that everything is spotless (this includes tidying basements, attics, and laundry rooms). The cleaner a house is, the more appealing it will be to others.
- Sell Your House for Top Dollar Through Home Staging (trianglehomestaging.wordpress.com)
- Home Staging Tips: Beauty is in the Eye of the Buyer (fort-greene.thelocal.nytimes.com)